|Born of Noble Birth||X|
|Responsible for own fate||X|
|Has a tragic flaw||X|
|Doomed to make a serious error in judgment||X|
|Falls from great heights or from high esteem||X|
|Realizes he has made an irreversible mistake||X|
|Faces and accepts death with honor||X|
|Meets a tragic death||X|
James Mcavoy in "ShakespeaRe-Told: Macbeth",
a modern interpretation of Macbeth
• The main character of Shakespeare’s famous play ‘Macbeth’ is Macbeth, a Scottish lord.
• As he, the thane of Glamis, has just won a battle for his king, three witches tell Macbeth he shall be thane of Cawdor, and King thereafter.
• When soon after that he actually becomes thane of Cawdor and the king comes to his castle as a guest, it is a chance to big for him not to take. Encouraged by his wife he kills the king. Not long thereafter he is crowned King of Scotland.
• Unfortunately for Macbeth he hasn’t taken the murder on the king lightly, and he slowly turns mad.
• He goes back to the witches to demand another prophecy, they tell him no man born from a woman will harm him.
• Ensured by this prophecy he goes back to his castle. But, after having killed several of his lords, and their families, English troops led by the son of the old king, invade Scotland to overthrow Macbeth.
• One of the lords, who’s family has been killed on the orders of Macbeth, comes with the English forces as they marching up to Macbeth’s castle. To have his revenge this lord seeks to kill Macbeth.
• Macbeth, who thinks he is immortal laughs at him, but then the lord tells Macbeth he was not born naturally, but ripped from his mother’s womb untimely. He understands his fatal mistake of misinterpreting the prophecy. Macbeth then comes to a tragic end as the lord kills him.